The Association of Historic Baptists (AHB) belongs to the heritage and is aligned with the teachings of the Strict and Particular Baptist churches of England. This online archive is designed to preserve this heritage and to promote these teachings, both of which are founded upon the glorious gospel of the blessed God.
There are several leading features which distinguish the teachings of the Strict and Particular Baptists from the mainstream “reformed” churches of our day:
- Saving faith is the result of regenerating grace, and only those who have been brought experientially under the authority of the covenant of grace (redemption) are duty-bound to believe on Christ to the saving of their souls
- The gospel should be fully and freely preached to all, but should not be presumptuously offered to anyone
- The rule of conduct for the believer’s life is the gospel law, which is the soul’s union with Christ, by virtue of which the life and graces of Christ flow into the soul, enabling the believer to work out his/her salvation with fear and trembling
- The Authorized Version of the Bible, based on the Hebrew Masoretic Text and the Greek Textus Receptus, is the most reliable translation in the English language today
- The biblical pattern of church governance is congregational order, with a close(d) communion table, and the oversight of one pastor assisted by a group of deacons
The online archive includes the teachings of those which contribute to one or more of these values. It should go without saying, the views of one contributor may not represent the full views of other contributors, or those of the AHB. The reader is encouraged to examine all views in the light of God’s Word, nurturing his/her own convictions on the matter.
Jared Smith is the director of the AHB and the editor of the online archive. For twenty years he served as the pastor of a Strict and Particular Baptist church in England and now serves as an Evangelist in the Philippines. Please drop him a note if you wish to correspond.
We hope you will find this online archive useful in your journey with the Lord, and pray He will bless the teachings to your soul.